Single Sign On(SSO) for Oracle Apps
Single sign-on (SSO) is a user/session authentication process that permits a user to enter one name and password in order to access multiple applications. The process authenticates the user for all the applications they have been given rights to and eliminates further prompts when they switch applications during a particular session.
There are different authentication methods using below things:
- One Time Passwords
- Tokens and Smartcards
- Digital / Machine Fingerprints
Biometrics role in SSO
Biometrics refers to technologies for measuring and analyzing human body characteristics for authentication purposes
Biometric technologies available:
- Fingerprint biometrics – fingerprint recognition
- Eye biometrics – iris and retinal scanning
- Face biometrics – face recognition using visible or infrared light (called facial thermography)
- Hand geometry biometrics – also finger geometry
- Signature biometrics – signature recognition
- Voice biometrics – speaker recognition
How Fingerprint biometrics plays an important role in SSO
There is Ridge patterns on fingers which plays key role for uniquely identify people
Each fingerprint has at least one of the major features and many “small features” (so-called minutiae)
So fingerprint biometrics provides greater security for SSO.
Implementing Biometrics for Identity Management for Oracle Apps
Implementation can be done using following two options
1. By using BioEnable’s SDK code (at client level), So that Oracle Apps Login Forms can be modified to include Biometric Authentication
2. By securing complete Operating System using Biometric based PC Logon Solution
Both the options are explained with there technical specs and features in following sections
By using BioEnable’s SDK code (at client level)
- User tries to access the application (windows/Web based application)
- Application sends a request to SSO application for the authentication purpose.
- SSO application asks User to enter his/her authentication details like fingerprint scans, PIN etc.
- If credentials are correct then user can access the application.
- Now user can access all applications available on the server
Securing Applications and files, By Securing complete Operating System (Biometric based PC Logon System)
- User powers up the computer.
- After the Operating system gets loaded, Operating system asks for Biometric(Fingerprint) based logon screen (which can be further integrated with LDAP or Microsoft Active Directory – AD based User databases with Policy engines)
- User, based on policies defined, will have access to certain files and folders (Files and folders encryption will be used here)
enBioSecure is applicable to all PCs/computers that require security.
- Individual user PC
- Multi-user environment PC
- Optimization of fingerprint images for Speedy verification
- Easy and convenient user environment
- Security levels (3levels) can be set.
- BioAPI BSPs by other companies are also compatible
- USB interface & CC Certification
- User Management
- Verification DB Management
- Log Management
- Screen Saver
- System Restriction
- File Encryption & DB Backup